Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The easy ending and the good ending

A little while ago I played through Castlevania- Symphony of the Night which I bought from the Playstation Network.



The game is full of little secret areas, special items and optional bosses. In fact if you play through the game leisurely, and don't go out of your way to do more than is required you'll probably end up with "the easy ending"- like I did when I played through. When I got "the easy ending" I knew something wasn't right and I consulted a walkthrough guide online which revealed to me that I had missed out on SO MUCH in this game, but that if I wanted "the good ending" I would have to put in a lot more hours and a lot more effort.

The whole experience reminded me of the situation of mankind after the fall. The tragedy of Original Sin means that if we just go through life following the dictates of our flesh and what the world around us is suggesting we will end up with "the easy ending"- eternal damnation in the fires of hell. As a priest I know once said, "no one needs a manual to get to hell".

To get "the good ending", like in Castlevania, involves consulting the guidebook (the Church teaching and Sacred Scripture) or asking getting the advice from those who have already finished the game and achieved "the good ending" (the writings of the saints). "The good ending" requires effort, extra hours and much more discipline.

Most people will finish with the "easy ending" in difficult computer games, and in life Our Blessed Lord teaches it will be the same.

  "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Strive to get the "good ending". Put in the effort, resist the devil, the world and the flesh. Remain faithful to the teachings of the Church, and cling to Christ Who is the way.

No comments: